Recipe: Shokupan Bread
The internet overlords have decided that recipe posts should be complicated by long preambles and paragraphs regarding their history. However, when I am looking for a recipe- I just want the recipe. So, that’s just what you’ll get here….most of the time.
- 1/4c water
- 1/4c milk
- 1/4 c Bread Flour (not All Purpose)
- 2 1/4 c Bread Flour
- 1 pk Active (not rapid) Dry Yeast
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2tbsp Sweeten Condensed Milk or Powdered Milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 c very softened but not melted butter
- 1 egg beaten
To make the starter
combine 1/4 c water, 1/4c milk, 1/4, bread flour in a small sauce pan over medium heat stirring constantly until it reaches mashed potato consistency. Remove and place in a bowl to cool.
To Make the Dough
In the bowl of your stand mixer with dough hook affixed combine
- Flour, salt, sugar, yeast and stir to mix before adding other ingredients.
- Add 1/2 c milk plus 2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- Add the cooled starter
- Add beaten egg
- Mix dough with hook on low for 5 minutes
- Add butter and continue mixing 5 mins now at medium speed.
- Lower speed to low and mix additional 5 mins
- Turn the sticky dough out into a greased large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Sit in a warm place to proof for 1 hour or until doubled
- Turn dough out and divide into 4 equal portions
- Roll each portion into rectangles 5 inches by 7 inches and then shape each into small loaves and place all 4 loaves into a prepared well greased parchment lined loaf pan
- Cover with plastic and set aside to raise for 1 hour
- Brush surface with heavy cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350° and place loaf into oven and bake approx 30 mins. If browning occurs too quickly tent with foil.